Browse Items (51 total)

  • Collection: Fairfax

Clifton - Town Hall

On the Placard: Town Hall of Clifton


Clifton - Pink House

On the Placard: "Pink" House ** 1905 **
The house was built by the Ambler family who maintained a farm outside of town where they grew various crops. In the 1960's, a business located here painted the building pink and it has been known by locals…


Clifton - Payne House

On the Placard: Payne House c.1884
Home of Melvin M. Payne, a housebuilder and lumber broker to the railroads. Payne's bench mark, a split tree and cross, can be found 'branded' on the framing of many older Clifton area homes. It is also carved into…

Clifton - Kincheloe House

On the Placard: Kincheloe House ** 1900 **
Huckster George Kinchloe worked the area until the end of Prohibition. His wife "Aunt Inez" then opened the house to boarders. 5c buckets of beer were delivered every Friday night to the thirsty school…


Clifton - Huckbill

On the Placard: Huckbill ** 1902 **
Built by H. Longley. Oscar Woody, who was a member of the railroad and sea postal services, bought the house in 1910. He was on duty on the Titanic when she went down on his 41st birthday. He was buried at sea on…

Clifton - Harris House

On the Placard: Built by the Harris Family & later acquired by Thomas Moore of Williamsburg, is one of the two oldest houses in Clifton.
It is original in all detail & contains a sick room with its outside entrance that was so common during that…


Clifton - Detwiler House

On the Placard: Samuel Detwiler lived in this house in 1905 when he was the town liveryman. With the demise of the horse and buggy, he and his son Frank began a dairy farm. Their barn was located where the Post Office now stands. Each day they would…


Clifton - Clifton Baptist Church

On the Placard: In 1876, George W. Tillet, along with other area men who served with Mosby's Rangers during the Civil War, formed a Baptist Church with services held in his home. Subsequently, they built a one-room church on this site in 1877 which…


Clifton - General Mercantile Store

On the Placard (Titled "Circa 1884"): This building was built as a General Mercantile Store and through the years has been occupied as a Saloon, Bakery, Grocery, Pool Hall, Cabinet Shop and Church.

The addition was added in 1926 for a Barber…

Clifton - Buckley Store

On the Placard: "From a pin to a plow" was the Buckley Brothers' motto for their general store which was the largest store between Alexandria and Front Royal at one time. Since the Clifton School did not own a scale, the scales in the store were used…